Are you preparing to become a project manager? But, do you feel confused and need more information? We, at Training Creatively, have put together a comprehensive guide for your future career as a project manager. Here is everything you need to know before taking the reins of this prestigious position.
What does being a project manager mean?
Are you someone who is the leader of your group? Do you like to keep things organised and always have a goal in mind? If you say yes, you could be on your way to a very successful career in project management.
Project management is an interesting field and you should be prepared for adventure. A project manager or PM is responsible for taking care of an entire project, from the initiation to the planning, the execution and the completion. The PM has to monitor every stage of the project till completion, ensuring that everything works out smoothly.
A project manager works in a team. So, you have to be a great team player and a sociable person. You will be required to adapt to different environments, cultures, people and situations. The key to team communication is flexibility, especially because you will be the controller and builder of the team.
Skills of a project manager
Knowledge of project management is not always enough to become a great project manager. You require soft skills, along with problem-solving skills. You should also be a team player. Handling daily project management challenges require adaptability, accountability and a stress-resistant personality. It will greatly help you if you are naturally a multitasker and possess excellent oral, as well as, written skills.
Take a look at some of the skills of a project manager you should possess:
- Self-management and project management skills
- Solid understanding of risk management processes and business cases
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Capability to make decisions under pressure
- Good negotiation and communication skills
- Strong business acumen
- Creative mind-set
- Excellent time management skills
- Work ethics
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Stakeholder management skills
If you do not have these skills, you can learn by enrolling for our online project management course. You will get virtual tutor support throughout the course. By the end of the course, you will have the confidence to get your dream job.
What is the work of a project manager?
Depending on the industry, specific duties might differ. However, when it comes to project management, your duties will more or less remain the same.
- Handle all the different stages and phases of the project
- Manage project requirements with both internal and external shareholders
- To track the progress of the project, create a project management plan
- Develop and maintain professional business relationships
- Create accurate forecasts for resource usage and management
- Align various teams to make sure product quality is delivered
- Manage all the billings and budget related to the project
- Monitor and control project attributes through relevant KPIs
- Evaluate and tweak the performance of the team working on the project
- Take quick decisions in case of any project delays within agreed limits of authority
These are some of the responsibilities of a project manager. Simply put, you will have to manage all aspects of a project. This would include the various stages of the project, managing a team, communicating with various stakeholders and ensuring that the resources for the project are available. You need to have problem-solving skills so issues can be sorted out quickly.
So, if you are aspiring to become a project manager, you can check out our virtual PRINCE2 online and virtual training courses. In just a few days, you will acquire the knowledge you need to move ahead in your career.